Friday, July 5, 2013

Fourth of July

I missed out on last night's posting.  We had a wonderful day of fun-filled events that took us right up until 10:30 pm!
Canaan's Masons held a benefit four mile road race and kids' fun run.  It was at the back of my mind all week last week and then yesterday I decided we'd go and that I'd run the 4 miler.  Let me just say this - WOAH! It was super hot and super sunny.  I did it, but had to stop to walk a bit to catch my breath.  At water station 2, I missed my turn and added on another 4/10's of a mile before someone came to get me.  At that point all I wanted was a ride on the bumper of his car.  Even though I added a bit to my run, I still wasn't last - although I had prepared myself for it!
Lark and Si participated in the fun run around the elementary school.  Lark almost gave out right at the start line, but Jamie pulled her along and she made it through.  Silas did well too.  He runs around at home a lot, but hasn't done anything organized.  You should have seen the smile on his face when he crossed the finish line.  Priceless!
I finished the quilt for the Canaan Historical Museum raffle and delivered it to Donna Dunkerton.  By the time she left yesterday, she had sold 20 tickets...$100.00 toward building improvements!  The raffle date has yet to be set as the historical society needs to decide on a date.  When I get more information on that, I'll let y'all know.  Thanks to those of you who bought tickets - even if you don't really need a quilt.
Cardigan Mountain School put on a BBQ for the town at the Meeting house.  It was WONDERFUL!  Larkin and Silas enjoyed seeing all the dogs that came for the dog show.  There were dogs of all shapes, sizes, and fluffs!  Lark especially enjoyed the chocolate colored miniature poodle puppy - I think the pup liked her too!
We finished up our day with a cookout at the beach with friends and family.  The water was refreshing!    
Canaan's fireworks were held at the Speedway again this year as Cardigan Mountain School has some construction going on.  We got a little (ok,VERY) bug-bitten and damp, but all in all the fireworks were nice!
It was a great day of freedom! I appreciate all the efforts that have been made to establish and keep our freedom as it is today.

No comments:

Post a Comment